Frequently Asked Questions
What are Pet Oxygen Masks?
- They are oxygen masks designed to fit over the snout of a household size animal.
What kind of animal do they fit?
- They fit dogs, cats and other household size animals. They are not for livestock such as cows and horses.
Why would an animal need one?
- If you have a home fire and a pet suffers from asphyxiation or other breathing difficulties due to smoke inhalation.
Why can't you just use a human oxygen masks?
- No, human masks are only slightly curved and do not allow proper ventilation. The best they can do is lay it "aside" the pet and crank up the oxygen in hopes the clean air helps. This is known in the industry as "blow by" air.
How is the delivery of oxygen through Pet Oxygen Masks different?
- Our masks have a unique rubber seal closing the jowls of an animal and delivering the oxygen directly through the nostrils. This simulates proper pet CPR. A more thorough explanation can be read on our "Mask & Kit Information" page.
Who are they for?
- They are for first responders.
Who is a first responders?
- First responders are anyone trained and employed as a Firefighters, EMT's, Paramedics, Police Officers and other Emergency Medical Personal.
Why do fire fighters need pet oxygen masks on board?
- To save the life of a pet suffering from smoke asphyxiation in a situation such as a home fire.
Can I purchase one for own pet?
- No, we suggest the public take Pet First Aid & CPR to assist their own pets during emergencies.
Can we send them to an area on fire?
- No, that is called Emergency Aid. These take placement and pet specific training (which we offer), they need to established "prior" to a fire; this is called Emergency Preparedness!
Do you sell them?
- No, we are a nonprofit we raise funds and then donate directly to first responders?
Why don't fire departments already carry them?
- The are not part of the "national standard" to learn more please visit our page called the "Nitty Gritty". This section is dedicated to more in-depth information.
Why can't I purchase one?
- While it is outside the scope of our bi-laws there are many reason's we suggest the best place for this equipment is in the hands of emergency personal. We invite you to read more in-depth information in the "Nitty Gritty" section of this website.
How much does a kit cost?
What happens to my funds when I donate?
- Unless otherwise indicated, such as working on a fundraiser for your home town, your donation goes into our "General Funds", unless you are working on an in your town campaign. We use
these funds to honor request made daily by first responders. You can view those grant recipients
via our social media link!
What's in a kit?
- Each kit comes with three different size oxygen masks. To learn more please visit our
"Mask & Kit Information" page.
Will you ship the equipment to my house?
- No, we only ship directly to first responders.
Do you donate to all state within the US?
Do you donate outside of the United States?
- If you are outside the US, all funds including shipping must be raised & donated by you.
- Shipping cost are estimated you may be asked to cover more then the quoted cost. You will be refunded any monetary difference.
- The receiver will be required to pay any custom, import or duty taxes, upon arrival to your origin.
- We only take outside of State request, even with you paying, at certain times during our calendar year. Please contact us to see if we are available to assist you at this time.
Can I purchase one for the department near my home?
- Yes, however we like to make SURE that is all they need. If you are interested in establishing them in your area please review our page; "In Your Town"!
- One of our most important questions, please visit our page on "Ways You Can Help!"
Can I donate online?
- Yes you may "Donate Now".
Do you have a postal address?
- Emma Zen Foundation
Anaheim CA 92825